Leadership-Recycling Emotions Responsibly
Leaders thrive on the emotions of people. They polish and sugar-coat their words to strike the cord with the people. Leaders are known for it. They make the people cry, laugh and smile through their speeches. They make them feel angry and agitated. Leaders make people run high on emotions, and they know how to use them. They will not show their true feelings and look in control. If they do so, the people will regard them as weak and unstable to lead. Leaders take control and charge of emotions. Their messages are powerful. Leaders know that there is a red line that they shouldn't cross, too emotional. It can cause problems in the long run. It can affect the objectives, goals and decision-making process. Moreover, leaders use emotions to attract people and followers. They make people feel and think. Propaganda is easily spread this way. There are leadership training programs which develop and grow potential leaders. Leadership is all about persuading and manipulating the people for a common goal. Emotions are used because it is more effective and has instant results. Whatever a leader does, it leaves an impact on the people. Therefore, it is necessary for leaders to have a level of emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is how the person uses their emotions and of others. It's a combination of making people feel valued and important. Thus, leaders bring the people to the forefront. It is part of adaptive leadership skills. Adaptive leadership is founded on transparency and honesty. Leaders should use emotions to instil confidence in the people. The people should feel satisfied. The leaders should acknowledge the people time and again. It spreads positivity.
Good leaders are hard to find. They have mastered their skills and emotions. Leaders undergo training to develop new skills and broaden their knowledge. Outlined here are what makes leaders adhered:
• Positivity - always be positive no matter what. Instead of lamenting on the problems, be quick to find the solution. They should work in collaboration with partners, stakeholders and the people for results.
• Listen - it's the people who gave the leaders the power, and it's the people whom they have to listen. By listening to the people, the leaders will get ideas and feedbacks. They can then improve themselves.
• Boundaries-setting limits is important otherwise the people will start taking advantage. Leaders have to be open, approachable and polite at all times. They cannot just push away people.
• Past - let go of the past. It happened. One cannot change it, but they can work for the betterment of the future. They can make things right, by learning from the past. There's no gain in dwelling on past failures. Everyone should move on.
• Growth-welcome new ideas. Leaders should always take out time from the busy schedules to participate in personality and leadership workshops and training programs. It will help develop their skills and enhance their characters.
Leadership engages people and resources to achieve goals and objectives. Leaders can't work alone. They usually have a team, and they guide people towards it. Leaders have to keep the people in their hearts and minds because they are working for them. It is the individuals who have given them the power to lead. When leaders fail, they had the opportunity to rise and take the lead again. But if the same mistakes happen again or the people get tired of them, new leaders are chosen. Once in power, leaders shouldn't stray away from the path. They should continuously work towards the goal and fulfil the promises to the people. Every leader should be credible. They shouldn't take advantage of the people's emotions and incite violence or unlawful actions. Leaders should not abuse their power. They should channel it for the right course such as development, improving education and health or generating employment opportunities for the young adults. There are so many things they can good. In organisations, good leadership bring profits into the company. It lifts the organisation above others and gets everyone talking. Moreover, organisations are built through a team of employees. The feelings of the employees should kept in heart; they should be upheld and given the same level of respect as the seniors. Leaders should never be indifferent. They should help the people in finding solutions and uplifting their confidence. Leaders should motivate and have a holistic approach. The people depend on them. Leaders should reach out to the people. It can only be done through trust building.